- M.Ed in Maths Education (University of Cape Town)
- M.Phil in Monitoring and Evaluation (Stellenbosch University)
- B.Sc and B.Sc (Hons) (University of Cape Town)
- HDE (PG) Sec (University of Cape Town)
- 17 years of teaching and management experience in government and private schools in South Africa, Namibia and the UK
- 8 years of independent education consulting, including over a year full-time project managing the setting up of the state-of-the-art new Disa Primary School
- Extensive knowledge of South African and British curricula
- South African Council for Educators
- Association for Mathematics Education of South Africa
- South African Monitoring and Evaluation Association
Garth is passionate about education, and sees it as one of the keys to a prosperous future for South Africa (or any other country). One of the issues facing education in this region today is lack of suitable facilities, particularly in the under-developed township and rural areas, and Garth is therefore eager to assist with any initiatives that will provide increased educational opportunities in these areas.
Mathematics is the subject area on which Garth focuses most of his attention and energy, as it is his primary area of expertise and interest, and since South Africa has such an enormous need for improvement in this area.
He loves working across the spectrum from educators to learners. Much of his work is to inspire, motivate and up-skill educators so that they can do their job to the best of their ability. However, he also loves working one-on-one or in groups with the learners themselves, to ensure that he remains in touch with the needs of this ever-changing group. The joy of seeing comprehension dawn on the face of one of his students is an emotion he is sure he will never tire of feeling!
In more recent years, Garth has completed a number of evaluations of education interventions, as he believes that it is vital that we learn what works and what doesn’t work in projects so as to avoid the wastage of scarce resources.